Wednesday, November 15, 2006

CY Young Pride in Ashland, KY




As a tribute to our hometown hero Brandon Webb and his winning of the Cy Young award, my family declared today as Brandon Webb Day. Actually, every November 15th will be celebrated as such from here on out!!

This holiday will consist of Will wearing his jersey to school. But now that the D-Backs have changed there color scheme, I guess this is now a Throw-Back Jersey. Cool huh!

Yesterday, Andy sent me the message that Brandon had won the award and I jumped out of my seat when I found out. I started calling everybody I knew and telling them. Exciting stuff for a kid from Ashland, Kentucky to accomplish and it's exciting for me because I have batted against him (He was 7 years old and it was a wiffle ball), but it still counts!

The news last night told how Brandon was out shooting yesterday when he got the call from his agent about the good news. He said he was stunned and actually thought the agent was pulling his leg! He's a humble guy and all of us in Ashland are very proud of him.

4 comments:

Will Robison said...

I just read it this morning. When you see him next, tell him that the boys at 7th Inning Stretch congratulate him.

P.S. I guess this means his chances of becoming a SF Giant next year are seriously in jeopardy. ;)

Anonymous said...

My guess is that now that he has a major award, the big boys will start bidding on him. Maybe he could wind up in pinstripes someday??? Who knows?

I would love for you guys to meet him someday. Hopefully next season when he is in Sanfran I can get a message to him through my cousin that talks to him weekly. That'd be cool...

Don't give up on the Giants! They should have some cash to spend when they ditch Bonds.

Andy said...

Congrats to Webb - he deserves it. We WILL meet him next season - at the worst, hold up a sign that says "We're Friends of Donny Prater".

Anonymous said...

I saw Brandon last night in the Christmas parade. He and his wife were riding on an old fire truck. Marci and I waved at them like idiots. Brandon saw the scene we were making and he waved back and said "Hey Donny!". Then he came to his senses and realized my wife was with me and he yelled "Hey there's Marci!" then he told his wife to look at us and she waved. I'm starting to get a complex about this... I just don't think I can compete against a Cy Young winner.