Monday, August 07, 2006

OK, I'm Shocked!!

I know you guys are not very fond of the Yankees.....but, I must share Saturday night with you. My family and I went to Columbus,OH for back-to-school shopping and just to goof off. Since I have been a life long Yankee fanatic, I used this trip as a chance to finally see the Columbus Clippers play. The Clippers are the AAA Yankees and their past rosters are a who's who among the home grown Yankee talent.

With visions of Mattingly, Jeter, Williams, Posada, Soriano, and others dancing in my head, we headed to the park at 4:00 Saturday. It was hat day so we made sure to get there early and yes we got hats. Also, for some reason they had an autograph session going on with George Foster, Ken Griffey Sr, Bert Campineris, and Fergie Jenkins. I wanted to get them to sign a ball and ask Fergie about pitching on acid but the line was too long, and I'm a Yankee fan......

But, here is the big kicker: the stadium where the baby Yankees play sucks! I know it is old and nostalgic, but the field looks like a nice high school field and the bathroom and the area around it stunk of stale pee. I was shocked by how crappy the old stadium really is! I've been to Single A fields that are much nicer. I guess Steinbrenner spends so much on buying good players that he can't improve the field where his guys come up.

That's the bad but the good was that atmosphere. Friendly fans that love their team was the norm and the place was maybe 1/3 full. The neat thing about the field was that the fences are the same measurments as in Yankee stadium with the short porch in right. It was fun though. It's always a good time at the ball park.

4 comments:

Will Robison said...

At least they play in some place like Columbus, OH, and not in Fresno, CA. Be happy for that.

Andy said...

Yeah but the Grizzlies (the Giants AAA club in Fresno) play in a brand spanking new downtown ballpark, just like the A's AAA club the Sacramento Rivercats.

Anonymous said...

Columbus is a nice town....lot's to do. The only fault I have with Columbus is that it is where THE Ohio State University is located....

Andy- They are building the Clippers a brand new stadium downtown that is supposed to open in 2008. It's going to be state of the art. However, the die hard Clippers fans are opposed to it because right now the best ticket (and they still have actual tickets) is $10 and it costs $2 to park right outside of the gate. Hotdogs are $1 and a large mucho grande coke is only $3! Everyone is mad because all prices will double in the new park. Oh well, that's progress.

Also, the more I think about our time at the field, the more I think I was a little tough on the stadium. In fact, now I can't wait to go back. It was first class baseball in a nostalgic location. If they would just get rid of that pee smell.......

Will Robison said...

Fresno has a downtown? Who knew? ;)