Sunday, June 11, 2006

# 716

It was another Monday evening in cool, overcast San Francisco. As my son and I trudged out of the parking lot beneath a condo complex across the street, the aroma of pizza wafted, calling us over. At $4 for two slices of cheese pizza, it was substantially cheaper than most food items in the ballpark - so we purchased four slices and walked briskly to the ballpark, 10 minutes ahead of the first pitch.

We sat in our regular seats in Lower Box 106 on the first base side, 30 rows from the field. The lackluster Marlins were the opponent, Noah Lowry against the Fish's Brian Moehler, who departed the game after the 4th inning with an ERA that had ballooned to 7.17 after giving up 8 earned runs. As the game progressed and realizing that it was a school night, we weren't going to stay very long, so this time I took my son to the Fan Lot behind the centerfield bleachers, taking him up to the slides in the Coke bottle; examining the Build-A-Bear workshop (he is only 5 years old); and allowing him to play in the miniature AT&T Park, as he hit a wiffle ball for a screaming line drive off the left field wall.

We casually made our way back along the Arcade along the RF outfield wall, bordering the Bay, when we stopped behind the seats and stood with other patrons to watch the Giants load the bases in the 4th and then watching Lance Niekro deliver a bases clearing triple ahead of Bonds.

With light bulbs flashing Bonds took a mighty swing...and POW! The ball landed behind the centerfield wall.

716 flashed on the scoreboard.

It was a good night as the Giants went on to a 14-2 win.

Which they then followed up with losing 3 out of 4 to the previously 6-25 on-the-road Pirates, who are now 9-26 on the road.

::

On a side note, what are your thoughts on Jason Grimsley, HGH and Bonds? It proves one HUGE thing for me...there have been many, many more players who have been juiced these past several years. I for one, am thankful that there will be more investigation into other players, particularly pitchers.

3 comments:

Marcel said...

Good story Andy. It was as if I was there, then I remembered, "What am I doing behind enemy line!!!" :)

HGH - It may not be as effective in building pure muscle mass a la juicing, but has all the benefits that steroids doesn't - the healing potential of the skeletal system. And hey, guys, if your dome is thinning, HGH supposedly regrows hair. Jason Grimsley doesn't appear like a bloated Giambi type that just took it to get huge. He may have been the victim of using it for its health bennies, but the end result was the same. It's banned. He knew he could get away with it because there's no testing for it.

What are the chances Barry is on HGH too?

Will Robison said...

I'd be more inclined to believe Bonds is using HGH. The thing I have noticed is that people are suddenly not as rabid about Bonds since the whole Grimsley story broke. I think people weren't as stunned and disbelieving as before, but I think they honestly were focusing all their attention on Bonds as if he were the boogeyman. Get Bonds out of the game and the steroid problem would go with it. Clearly that's not the case. I'm just glad that Webb wasn't caught up in the whole sordid affair. He sounds like a nice guy.

Anonymous said...

I'm in countdown mode!!!! My family and I are not blessed with a ballpark in our city so we have to travel a couple of hours to see a game. I will be in Cincy Sunday to see the Reds and the White Sox. I hope to have a post on Monday about what God is going to show me during this outing.

I was sorry to hear that Grimsley fell. hate it for the dbacks. Haven't talked to Brandon lately about it. Next time I see him, I'll ask, cautiously, about it.