Monday, June 19, 2006

Now I Know Why They are the World Champs!

Oh the smell of hotdogs roasting on an open metal thing that moves them back and forth........ My family and I watched the White Sox complete a three game sweep of the Reds yesterday. I have to say, the Sox are for real! Those guys are monsters not only in size but also in pitching, fielding, and obviously coaching. I had never seen Jermaine(?) Dye in person and I have to say, he is large! The Reds are there usual sucky team with a few good personalities and one big ego in center field that hasn't gone on the DL yet.

One of the highlights came in about the third inning when Harang plunked Dye. What made this a highlight was the fact that we all saw and heard Dye get hit in the side and we saw him react by spinning away from the plate. The cool thing was, as he started to walk toward first base, he reached under his arm, grabbed the ball, and slung it toward the dugout!!! Tough guy........

The other highlight for me came in the singing of "Take me out to the ballpark", when I witnessed a "Sneak Attack" occur. When we got to the part where you say "Root, root, root for the (insert team name here "Reds Team")", the crowd around me overwhelmingly screamed "WHITE SOX"! That was really funny.

Anyway, it was a great day at the park (what day isn't) because it was slightly overcast and there was a nice breeze. As you can see in the above pic (crappy cell phone pic), we were right in the alley so we had pretty good seats. The Reds suck and I have always rooted for whomever they are playing and I'm teaching my son to do the same as seen in this photo. As usual, the Reds were by far way to outmatched in this series. It's a good thing that the Royals are rolling into Cincy next. That may be one AL team they will have a chance to beat. Look for the Sox to be in it at the end of this season.



Oh yeah, Hey Andy, that is no doubt Safeco field in the banner.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Good call, Donny - indeed that's Safeco up there.

Sounds like a great time at Great American. I'm sure the atmosphere beats the old Riverfront Stadium.

The Reds are doing the fade that I expected them to do...just like last year, hot start, mid-season fade, and they'll finish mid to bottom half of NL Central.

Anyone else think it was a little too early to name Griffey to MLB's All Century team???

Will Robison said...

As with all sports, any player still playing that hasn't completely dominated the sport for more than ten years should never be named to an all-century team. Of course, that was last century, and KGjr was pretty good last century. That Mariners team they had, while never quite being good enough to win it all, was still pretty damn dominant. I'd rank them up there with some of the best teams in the last twenty years. Unfortunately, they are all still living in the shadow of those years. They will never again be that good. Any of them.

Anonymous said...

Great American is an awesome park. Riverfront was horrible compared to it. You are right on Andy! The Reds are on their usual fade to black.....

I can't stand Griffey. He is arrogant and he thinks he is too good to work out in the off season. It's no wonder he gets hurt so easily. The worse thing about him is all of the money the Reds spend on him because they thought they were getting the Seattle Mariners KGjr. What they got was a huge sucking sound in the outfield that costs them tons of money and forces them to get rid of good players before their prime. I would say it is a pretty good bet that Dunn and Kearns will be out of there within the next two-three years.

If you can't tell by now, I'm not a Griffey fan. My three year old is even trained what to say when asked what he thinks about Griffey (or the Red Sox). He responds: Sucks.

Well, that's my rant! Had a great time at the park though!!!!

Marcel said...

Donnie: Thank you for not training your son to respond to the Dodgers the same way. ;)

Hey guys, here are Griffey's 20th century stats - 398 HR's, 1152 ribbies, 1742 hits.

All century? Please....who voted? Cincy sports writers and fans?