Thursday, June 08, 2006

Technology

In 1982 I got my first set of golf clubs. They were a set of top of the line Walter Hagen Ultras like the pros played with. I played all the time in the 1980's and some in the early 90's but I pretty much put them up until 2002 when I played in a church scramble. The guys they teamed me up with in that scramble laughed at my clubs and acted as though they had never seen real woods before. I felt like I had on polyester green liesure suit and a fedora, I really felt out of place. But why? Well, first of all, everyone had these new metal drivers with alloy shafts and space age irons. Not to mention the golf shoes that had rubber spikes. My shoes still had metal. WHat happened? I felt like I had been put in a time machine and transported from 1989 to 2002 because of technology.

I think baseball is no different by the way the players use new technology gloves, spikes, armor, but most of all training and physical therapy. Athletes today are given the greatest amount of training to get the greatest amount of performance out of them for the greatest amount of time! Contrast someone like A-Rod with Lou Gehrig and think about how many more opportuinities to strengthen and train that ARod was afforded.

With all of the technology out there, the great thing about baseball is that it's still one man and one WOODEN bat against a little ball. That's also STILL my golf game: Me with a wooden driver against a little ball. I did buy a new pair of golf shoes with the new fangled rubber spikes only after my old pair dry rotted and fell apart on the 17th hole.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Golf spikes always struck me as rather odd. C'mon, you can't hit a golf ball with regular tennis shoes??? Spikes are for aerating your lawn or soccer or football or baseball.

Golf? That's funny.

(BTW, not denigrating the sport - I've been known to hack a bit as well. Longest putt I ever sank was a 15 footer. And no, it wasn't at a miniature golf course, either.)