Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bread and Circuses

Have we reached the point where Sport is no longer about the competition, fairly played, and is now entirely about the spectacle? Have we become participants in that insanity?

I remember years ago, when I was much younger, going to a Dodger/Giants game with three friends - Andy, Greg, and Jay. For various reasons, Jay was sitting in a different section than us and we all agreed to meet after the game. During the game we witnessed numerous brawls, fights, beer tossings, and other insanity. It was not only distracting to the game, but it was just generally a terrible time at the park. After the game, we waited and waited and waited for my friend Jay to arrive. When he finally did arrive, he informed us that he'd been delayed because he'd gotten into a fight with a Dodger fan. We all thought how crazy it was to fight another human being over a game.

I am reminded of this situation because of the insanity that I am seeing in sports lately - on both sides. The alleged steroid abuse that was rampant in baseball by players who felt the need to get an edge in a game that really didn't need any extra excitement is one part of it. But the other part of it is the fan's reactions to sports stars. I remember at the end of the World Cup in 1994 when a member of the Columbian soccer team was killed after his team was eliminated in the first round. I thought that was insane. But just this last week, I've seen fans boo the Canadian national anthem at a Hockey Game (Uh, hello! The sport was invented there you numbskulls!) and last night's attempted assault on Barry Bonds was actually cheered by the crowd. Where did this blood lust come from?

When I coach T-Ball, I enjoy watching the kids hit the ball and run as fast as they can to first base. I enjoy the fact that they are more concerned with whether their parents see them make a play than whether anyone else cares. I enjoy the fact that these kids play because its fun. In fact, if it didn't interfere so horribly with their cartoon schedule, I'd say replace all major leaguers with 5 year olds and lets watch something really entertaining for a change. It'd be good for baseball. And it'd be good for the so-called fans.

3 comments:

Andy said...

Amen to that.

Case in point: During Saturday afternoon's T-ball game, I put this shy 5 year old, Max on the right side of the mound (facing home), with another boy on the left. In that inning, Max had 4 or 5 grounders hit to him - and he correctly bent down to pick up the ball, making nice 1 and 2 hop throws to 1B.

Figuring that no one ever gets the ball at SS (since T ballers typically hit up the middle or go to the right side) and wanting other kids to get some action, I put Max at SS the next inning.

The ball kept finding him at SS as 4 or 5 more grounders went his way.

You could see the confidence build in this shy boy, and by the end of the game, was beaming because he got to make good plays in front of mom and dad.

That is the joy in the game.

Will Robison said...

Yeah, but I thought the way the other team threw at his head in the next inning was just disgraceful! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm coaching under 6 soccer and it is more fun to watch those kids play than professional athletes. The only advantage to professional athletes over kids is that the pro's parents aren't waiting on you after the game to gripe about playing time. A parent's raging ego can be deadly!

Speaking of World Cup: Anyone out there ready for a post about it? I am, just wondering if any of you guys are soccer fans like me. Let me know cause I have a good one waiting in the wings.